April 10, 2018

Laidabekaina entrevista a... Mid Knits!

Erin Black began knitting and crocheting as a child when she learned to love yarn by admiring her Granny-made afghans that arrived promptly every Christmas. 

Trained in Interior Design, she uses her expertise to update a traditional craft and create sculptural yarn art that translates seamlessly into classic and modern settings alike. 

Find her self-published patterns under her label Midknits 

Erin Black empezó a tejer de niña cuando aprendió  a amar la lana por la admiración que sentía por el trabajo de sus abuelas en aquellas mantas tejidas que llegaban cada Navidad.

Formada en Diseño de Interiores, usa su experiencia para poner al día una labor tradicional y crear arte hecho con lana que podemos catalogar tanto como clásico como moderno.

Encontrarás sus patrones autopublicados bajo la marca Midknits 



How and why did you start knitting/crochetting? Which was your first work?
I started both knitting and crocheting as a young child. I had a Nan and a Granny who were very good at doing crafty things and spent a lot of time learning techniques from them; They really nurtured the crafter in me and always offered up leftover yarns and other crafting goodies for me to play with. Arts-and-crafts became such a huge part of my childhood because I loved giving gifts to family and friends, but often didn't have enough money to buy them things from the store. Out of necessity, I got really good at making up my own patterns for knit and crochet items. Some of my first projects were basic scarves and blankets, but one of my more ambitious projects was when I spent one spring bending and forming my own wreaths out of twigs I collected in the backyard. I then spent hours crocheting bunches of tiny little flowers out of bits and pieces of yarn to decorate them. I remember how proud I was to present each of my grandmothers and my Mum with a special surprise for Mother's Day.

Cómo y porqué empezaste a tejer, cuál fue tu primera pieza?
Empecé a hacer ganchillo y punto de pequeña. Mis abuelas eran muy buenas con las labores y manualidades y pasé mucho tiempo aprendiendo técnicas de ellas. Ellas realmente nutrieron a la crafter que hay en mi y siempre me ofrecían sobras de lanas y otros materiales craft para jugar con ellos.
El arts-and-crafts se convirtió en una parte muy importante de mi infancia ya que me encantaba dar regalos a mis amigos y familia, pero normalmente no tenía dinero suficiente para comprarles cosas.
Por necesidad, me hice muy buena en hacer mis propios patrones para punto y ganchillo. Algunos de mis primeros proyectos eran bufandas y mantas básicas, pero uno de mis proyectos más ambiciosos fue cuando pasé una primavera moldeando y formando mis propias coronas de ramitas que recolectaba en el patio. Entonces pasé horas tejiendo ramilletes de flores minúsculas a ganchillo, con trocitos y restos de lanas, para decorarlas.
Recuerdo lo orgullosa que estaba de ofrecer uno para cada abuela y a mi madre, como regalo para el día de la madre.


Where does your brand identity, the essence of Midknits, comes from?
I studied Interior Design at college and was really inspired by the way specific items can transform a space and also impact how people interact within a space. With Midknits my goal is to design items that will complement my client's homes and help them to curate cozy and intimate spaces.

De dónde viene tu identidad de marca, tu imagen, la esencia de Midknits?
Estudié diseño de interiores en la universidad y realmente me inspiró la forma en que algunos artículos específicos pueden transformar el espacio e incluso impactar en cómo la gente interactúa con éste.


Having a family, how do you manage to combine it woth your project? How many time do you invest it in Midknits?
Balancing work/family life can be tricky. Luckily for me, I absolutely love what I do; for me, my job and my hobby are the same thing. This means I can spend a lot of time working and it doesn't even feel like work. If you look at my pattern photos you will also notice that my kids are ever-present as the models for my creations, so we spend a lot of family time together doing photoshoots. Including my whole family in the process, and behind the scenes of Midknits, means I get to work while still spending a lot of time with them.

Teniendo familia, cómo compaginas tu proyecto, cuánto tiempo inviertes en él?
Hacer el balance trabajo/familia puede ser delicado. Afortunadamente amo lo que hago; para mi, mi trabajo y mi hobby es lo mismo. Esto significa que puedo pasar mucho tiempo trabajando y no lo siento como trabajo. Si miras las fotos de mi trabajo,  notarás que mis niños están siempre presentes como modelos para mis creaciones, por lo que pasamos mucho tiempo tiempo juntos e las sesiones fotográficas. Incluyendo a toda mi familia en el proceso, y tras las cámaras de Midknits. Por ello, consigo pasar micho tiempo con mi familia, a la vez que estoy trabajando.


I'd like to know how do you design each piece and make it into a pattern.
A lot of the inspiration for my patterns still comes from my love of giving gifts to family and friends so each one starts with an idea for something I would like to make for a loved one. I usually start with a bunch of sketches and then narrow down my design based on what sketch feels the best. It is a lot of intuition and gut-feeling, but I find my best designs are the ones I "feel" the most inspired by. Once I have the concept sorted out, the swatching begins. I spend a lot of time playing with different yarns, needles, hooks and stitch patterns until I get the combination that makes me happiest. Once I have all that sorted in my head, I sit down to write the pattern out before I start knitting or crocheting the sample. Writing my patterns before I start actually working on the items allows me to test my pattern as I create my samples. Once the sample is done it is time for photos to be taken, tutorials to be written, the pattern to be tech edited, and graphic design.

Me gustaría saber cómo proyectas cada pieza y cómo la conviertes en un patrón.
Mucha de la inspiración de mis patrones sigue viniendo de mi gusto por dar regalos a mi familia y amigos por lo que cada uno empieza con la idea de lo que me gustaría hacer para alguien querido. Normalmente empiezo con un puñado de bocetos y los voy reduciendo a los que más se ajusten a lo que busco. Es mucha intuición, pero creo que mis mejores diseños son aquellos por los que me siento más inspirada. Una vez tengo el concepto listo, empiezan las pruebas.
Paso mucho tiempo jugando con diferentes lanas, agujas, ganchos y puntos hasta que obtengo la combinación que me hace más feliz. Una vez está todo claro en mi cabeza, me siento a escribir el patrón antes de empezar a tejer la muestra. Cuando la muestra está hecha es el momento para fotos, tutoriales, patrones y diseño gráfico.


What does knitting means to you? What part of your life does it occupy?
Like a lot of knitters and crocheters, yarn has become a passion that borders on obsession. It literally occupies every space in my home and I spend quite a lot of time thinking about my next project, the next time I will get to knit or crochet, and the next yarn I am going to buy. I love designing and have a book full of sketches for patterns I have yet to write up and I still add new sketches every day. I am so lucky that I have found an outlet for me creativity and I am thrilled that I get to share some parts of myself with all of you!

Para ti qué significa tejer? Qué parte de tu vida ocupa?
Como muchas tejedoras, la lana se ha convertido en una pasión que roza la obsesión. Ocupa literalmente cada espacio de mi casa y paso bastante tiempo pensando sobre mi nuevo proyecto, sobre cuándo voy a tejer otra vez y la siguiente lana que voy a comprar. Me encantan diseñar y tengo un libro lleno de bocetos para patrones que aún tengo que escribir y sigo añadiendo nuevos cada día.
Spy tan afortunada que he encontrado una salida para mi creatividad y estoy emocionada por conseguir compartir parte de mi con todos vosotros!


Esta entrevista ha sido hecha por Laidabekaina
This interview was made by Laidabekaina

MORE CROCHATTING HERE

2 comments:

  1. Anda que no hace que tengo clichado este granny para la pared!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...